Cat Training Books and Guides Reviewed
There are many cat training books on the market, let alone just on the internet. I found the whole thing confusing and needed help just to find the right cat training book. Here at HelpWIthPetTraining.com, we have read and tested about a dozen cat training books, and present to you here the three best we found. We have found that some books seem to be more informative and easier to follow than others and that’s why we have done this review. It seems that some cat training books rely on only one type or style of training and others integrate different types. We have assessed over ten of the most popular cat books on these criteria: fixing behavior problems, tips and secrets to, specific commands and tricks to teach your cat, the best way to select, buy and raise a new kitten or older cat. These are the things that new and old pet owners alike are looking for in a good cat training guide.
I read the books from beginning to end when I first download them. I then try and apply these tricks and tasks to my own cats to see how user friendly and easy to follow they are. I have years of experience training cats, so I was able to use my own experience to understand what the author of the book was try to accomplish. I also look for ways and tips that are new to me and that really work.
One of the first books that I read was Cat behavior secrets revealed. This was part of a bigger program called Cat Secrets Revealed. Also included in this training program was a book called Grooming and Health Secrets Revealed, and 2 mini books on kitten care and feline nutrition. The value here is outstanding, and all the materials were top-notch. The author of this book is named Liz and she is amazing.
Liz was able to explain why the cat does what it does and how to redirect. Liz also was able to give great advice on things like how to completely eliminate the cat urine odor around the litter box. Not just to cover it up but gone forever. I was very impressed by her feline knowledge and training ability. I have to admit I was skeptical that cats could be taught without any pre training at all, but it worked. I wish I had this guide when I started out. I am so confident in this guide that I’m sure the sofa I had when I got my first cat would have lasted more than a couple years! My cats had destroyed it before I really knew what I was doing. If you are just starting out in cat training, get this book and you might save a couch!
Here is just a sample of what you will find in just the first book, Cat Behavior Secrets Revealed:
- 7 simple ways to make your furniture an unappealing scratching spot so she’ll gladly choose the post instead.
- The one object cats hate their little paws to touch that will keep them off the sofa for good.
- 9 tricks to make the scratching post a fun and happy place for your cat!
- 4 strategic locations (including the number one spot) for a scratching post so your cat is practically forced to use it. It’s not where you think!
- Why fancy cat condos from the pet store are not ideal for scratching and why your cat may not be using it at all – even for playtime.
- The ugly truth about declawing your cat and two sad consequences that could occur if you choose this painful alternative to stop scratching behavior.
- 3 effective ways to handle “play biting” so both of you can enjoy fun times together.
- What to do to make sure your kitten never sprays once she reaches adulthood.
- 5 tricky ways to outsmart your cat and stop them from returning to the same area to spray.
- How to eliminate (not just cover up) the disgusting smell of cat urine from your carpet and furniture.
- The number one reason for bad potty behavior and the crucial step you must take before you try any other solution.
- Why some litters are dangerous to your cat and how to make sure the one you choose is safe.
- A simple, sneaky trick that stops “door bolter” cats from bursting out the door the second they see an opening for escape. Keep your kitty safe from the wild outdoors with this tip.
- The one essential key to winning over a timid cat. Once you understand this, gaining your cat’s trust becomes much easier.
- The best place in your house for your dog and cat to get acquainted…and who should set the pace of the introduction.
- Tips for preparing your dog for the big day…how to meet and greet kitty without stress and chaos.
- How to tell which cat is the culprit when you notice pee on the carpet or furniture.
- The absolute worst thing you can do when trying to get cats to live together in harmony.
- 3 ways to bring the great outdoors to your indoor cat while keeping her safe, happy and entertained.
As you can see, this is a very thorough and easy to follow guide. And this is all from just the first book you’ll get. This training program was by far the best I have reviewed. If you are looking for a guide to train your cat, and information on nutrition and grooming, this is definitely the guide to look into. On a scale of 1-10, I would have to say this program is a purrrfect 10.
This is a book by Paula Roob. I found this book to be more of a fun read and a little less of a problem solver. This guide did amuse the cats and I for hours of learning fun. The cats did respond well to the tricks in this book it was far less complete than Cat Secrets Revealed. I would definitely recommend this book for fun tricks and amusement.
You can tell Paula does know what she is talking about, but I just wish a larger array of topics were covered. It definately is a good training guide, I just wouldn’t however give it four paws up, only about 8 on a scale of 1-10.
This was the third book that I read and enjoyed. The author proves the book’s title in less than a chapter. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it for the cat lover who has ill tempered cats that they need to help to become more social. As far as teaching the cat anything other than good social skills it is lacking. I did enjoy the writing style and a few tips on behavior problems.
This was the cheapest of the guides I reviewed, so its not a bad value. But its very limited in its scope, basically just focusing on obedience. I would say of the dozen guides I read, this would be number 3. However, it is very distant from Cat Secrets Revealed. I would rate this book at about 6.5 out of 10.
We hope that our reviews of these top cat training books help with your decision to purchase a guide. No matter what you are looking for in a pet guide we are sure that one of the three will assist, but we feel Cat Secrets Revealed is by far the best overall cat training guidet. We hope we have helped you make an informed decision. Training a cat correctly will add a lot of enjoyment to your life and your pets.
Recent studies have shown that cats can see blue and green. There is disagreement as to whether they can see red.